First, Electric Motorsport, of Oakland CA.
I stumbled around and found mention of a “sepex” motor and controller bundle on their site, and have had a series of incredibly helpful emails from their tech support guy- who is identified only as tech@… – telling me about a number of things, most interesting being the problem of running a permanent magnet motor with a regenerative braking controller. Basically, it sounds like the single best way to blow up a controller.
The numbers on this motor are better than anything else, except for the Agni. We take a very slight hit on power/weight, but a huge jump in reliability. Oh, did I mention the motor and controller bundle are the same price as just the Agni motor? Sweet!
In our conversations, I found that they can also supply Agni motors (if I still wanted to run one…) and all the other stuff I needed. I already had a brief bit of info from them about the batteries and battery management system, so the idea of getting everything from one supplier, and actually getting some answers from that supplier, takes a whole lot of what a friend of mine likes to call “pucker factor” out of the equation.
Thanks, “tech”… I hope I can buy you a beer when I swing by Oakland in the Spring! And I want to get an Electric Motorsports logo on the bike, too… if not a paid sponsor, certainly moral support.
As for the status of the project- I’ve been sculpting the body panels to allow for maximum battery capacity and minimum air drag, and I think I finally have them to the point that the bike isn’t going to look like a Stormtrooper’s wet dream. I’ve settled on a high-impact polystyrene for the plastic, and David O’Brien, friend and co-conspirator, has a bigass vacuum-molder thingy. I’m hoping to pull a few panels within a week or two.
In the meantime, it’s back to the drawing board on the motor mounts- the new motor is a much different shape than the Agni, but should be no problem making the fit. Here it is- the D&D Sepex motor- Dia. 6.7, Length 11″, Weight 56Lbs